www.bicyclesvancouver.com 1823 West 4th Ave in Vancouver 604-737-7577

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Don't try this at home



It was 1989 when Greg Lemond's unconventional aerobar setup in the Tour de France gave him the advantage he needed to beat Fignon. Since then all sorts of handle bars have been designed to give riders the competitive edge. I spotted this unique setup in Toronto over the weekend. I'm pretty sure it's a prototype and I'm not sure what advantage it's designed to provide but it's interesting nonetheless. You need to click on the picture for the full size version to appreciate the details. Yup, that's electrical tape holding the flat bar in place. Crazy.

3 comments:

Dwayneo said...

that is so sweet

this individual mounted them on fairly staright though

in the race car world we had a term for which we would call really nice fabrication and welding and such; "sanitary", as in very clean...then we shortened it to "sano"

this is not sano

perhaps this is something new from seven

Dwayneo said...

under further review; it's likely a broom handle wrapped in tape..

c50jim said...

I wish I had thought of doing that to the CCM Club Racer I bought from my brother in 1963 (rusty, broken spokes and all). All us cool cats had the turned up bars, but the broomstick ... All I can say is "wow!".