www.bicyclesvancouver.com 1823 West 4th Ave in Vancouver 604-737-7577

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Yeah, that's right, I'm reviewing tire levers...



Tire levers, not very exciting, eh? Well, as someone who has changed literally hundreds of tires, possibly thousands, I beg to differ. I've tried them all, angular, with special little hooks to hang on to your spokes, made of recycled milk jugs, expanding ones that latch on to the hub axle, metal core, metal, name brand, knock-off, heck I even used a couple of spoons for a while, and nothing is as good as these Michelin tire levers.

I've never broken a Michelin tire lever. It's true. Using them exclusively in the shop for eight or nine years now I've never broken one. I won't lie, I've seen them broken, but only twice, and I was shocked both times. But still, having used them to install countless tires myself I'm more than impressed that they've lasted so long. Also, you should notice the broad but flat hook part of the lever, that low profile and stunted piece makes it exceptional at avoiding pinching the tube when installing particularly tight tires. There's little that is as frustrating as wresting a difficult tire onto a tight rim and then going to put air in that tire only to find you've punctured the tube installing it and have to start all over again.

The levers come with no guarantees, you might break one, you might pinch a tube with one, but you'll have to try real hard to do either of those things.

1 comment:

NoFunRob said...

Whole-hearted agreement from this former bike courier. These didn't even snap at -30. Cheapest top of the line tool in my bag.