www.bicyclesvancouver.com 1823 West 4th Ave in Vancouver 604-737-7577

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Dekerf and Cinelli





This bike defies description but I'm going to try. It's a handbuilt, fillet brazed, cross bike that just happens to fit me. These pictures don't do it justice, it needs to be seen up close to really appreciate the details. There are reinforcing plates delicately placed under the brake posts (I knew I forgot to take at least one particular picture) and the monostay brake hanger is such an elegant touch that gracefully expresses its function with an understated eloquence. The fillets are so perfectly articulated that the tubes seem molten, an effect that is enhanced by the metallic base paint. It's currently perched deservedly so upon a pedestal with a spotlight trained upon it. I have all the parts here to build it up but am reluctant to do so too soon because the parts will simply get in the way of the frame. Soon though. Soon it will be a bike.



And here are a few more of the Cinelli Super Corsa Pista. I think the simple "c" stamped into the lug and the jewel like inlay of a second "c" into the seat cluster are perfect touches on an already brilliant frame. When you hear it said, "they don't make them like they used to" you can counter, "sorry, but when it comes to bikes they do, and very well, thank you."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the Dekerf is a touring frame; you don't see many cross bikes with downtube shifters and cable routing under the top tube. Touring maybe?

Craig Sinclair said...

Nope, cross, though I understand why it may look like a touring frame. Still, it's pure cross geometry. For my personal (ab)use I'm not a fan of cable routing on top of the top tube because when you stop and "rest" your butt on the top tube as I'm prone to do the cable digs into the paint and it also tends to rattle more on rough terrain. Down tube shifter routing is because all front road derailleurs are bottom pull and while the pulley at the back of the base of the seat tube is a reasonable solution it never runs as smoothly as an under the bb cable routing. When I had Independent Fabrications build me my current cross bike I had the same discussion with them about more traditional cross cable routing but this set up has worked quite well for me. So yeah, it's a cross bike, but perhaps not a "racing" cross bike but I'm not a "racing" type of guy. I would definetely recommend different cable routing for someone who might race the frame.